Friday, April 23, 2010

Food! : The Waffle...Korean Style


4-23-2010
Korean culture is very different from American culture in many ways, especially when it comes to food. The most obvious difference is the use of chopsticks vs. the fork and knife. Chopsticks are a novelty in the U.S., but here they are a way of life. Another difference is that we sit on chairs and eat our meals at a table, while Koreans sit on the floor "Indian Style" (get it?) and eat at a...really short table. Americans also like to eat food with their hands (when applicable), while Koreans consider this dirty and improper. They eat pretty much everything with chopsticks, with the exception of soup of course, which they eat with a spoon. Genius. Many Asian cultures have mastered the use of chopsticks, and they can use them to pick up everything from a single grain of rice to a slice of bread or dinner role, which they also won't touch with their hands. While I take every opportunity to eat with my hands at home (because it saves me from doing dishes), I enjoy practicing my chopstick skills when dining in public or with friends. However, if you're eating a waffle in Korea, no silverware or plate is needed, unlike in the States. They've got us beat on that one.

When I first saw one being sold by a street vendor, I asked the woman what it was called and she responded, "Waffle". That works for me. Waffles aren't breakfast food here, they're more of just a sweet snack, and they're sold all over the place: on the street, at the mall, at the movie theater, etc. Waffles are pretty popular because they're cheap and delicious, which is a great combination. They're easy to make too. Once cooked, you just take a round waffle and fold it in half, spread assorted flavored creams on one side (strawberry, blueberry, etc.), and honey and syrup on the other side, then close it up. So I guess it's more of a waffle sandwich with delicious filling on the inside. Very quick and great on-the-go.

So that's the waffle. It's tasty. It's awesome. If you come to Korea I'll buy you one. I'm keeping this short because it's 1am and I'm waking up early in the morning to go to Seoul. This is the second weekend in a row that I'm going, but it's the NYC of South Korea, so every trip will be a new experience. Peace!

1 comment:

  1. Teach them how to put fried chicken in their waffles.

    ReplyDelete