Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Food! : The McDonald's Bulgogi Burger


4-13-2010
For those who have actually been reading and keeping up with this thing (thanks btw), you may have noticed the overall lack of food commentary in my blog posts. The reason is that I realized early on that there would be enough food-related material to start a whole separate blog if I wanted, so I've just been gathering data and pics instead and will incorporate these little tidbits into my existing blog; I'll just add 'Food!' into the title to mark them. I know, it's very original, but it'll have to do until something inspires me enough to change it. Suggestions?

When speaking about Korean cuisine from an American point of view, there are a couple of items on the menu that are automatic. If I were allowed to make a broad, sweeping generalization about our nation's knowledge of Korean food, this is what I would say: Most Americans know very little about it, but you have a better chance if you live in California, since most Koreans who move to the U.S. stop there and don't go any further east. If an American knows about only one Korean dish, then that dish is Kim Chi
(fermented cabbage essentially). Rice doesn't count as a dish. If an American knows 2 dishes, then it's Kim Chi and Bulgogi (thinly sliced marinated beef also known as Korean BBQ). And if you're from Texas, you've never heard of either one, because Texans only eat BBQ from Texas...and we don't eat cabbage.

One would think that for my inaugural food entry, I would start off with an in-depth critique of a more traditional local dish, even one of the "big 2" mentioned above. Instead I decided to start with something that everyone would recognize, but with a little twist: The McDonald's Happy Meal - Korean Style. You'll recognize a few familiar things right away; the toy...and...umm...the McDonald's logo? Actually it's very different from the standard Happy Meal that we all know and love. First off, there's no box with games and activities, just a small paper bag. Lame. Then there's the milk that tastes just different enough from U.S. milk that I can't stand drinking it unless it's in cereal, and I normally love milk more than anybody I know. We also have the corn salad in place of french fries. I expected it to be disgusting based on the way it looked, but I actually liked it and I'm pretty sure it's healthier than the fries. Finally there's the Bulgogi Burger itself. Korean style beef, mayo and lettuce make up this cultural favorite. Cheeseburgers, hamburgers and nuggets are also options just as in the U.S., but the Bulgogi Burger is the most expensive Happy Meal on the menu. They also have an adult sized version, which is equivalent to the Quarter Pounder with cheese, as well as the Big Bulgogi Burger...just picture a Big Mac and you've got the idea. They do sell Big Macs and they're delicious (blog entry - First Day On Mars), but I'm not quite ready to jump into the Big Bulgogi just yet. It almost feels wrong somehow. As for my meal, overall it was good, but a little pricey at 4200 Won, which is around the same price as the Big Mac set (set = value meal). On the bright side, at least I got Megatron.



4 comments:

  1. Corn salad?! You met a milk you DIDN'T like?!! I don't think I could live in a country sans potatoes/fries, now that really sounds wrong. Still trying to figure out what a Megatron is (I'm guessing a Transformer).

    PS to JC, I failed as a mom...cole slaw has cabbage, so technically we do eat cabbage in Texas (& once a year on your Irish BD we have corned beef....etc) In your defense, I wsa too busy feeding you potatoes... :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry mom, you didn't fail. Somehow, I LOVE cabbage, probably even Kim Chi. Oh, and Megatron is indeed a Transformer, and the leader of the Decepticons (bad guys). I have been looking at flights online Cowey. Korea, here I come! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jacob, I think google blogs allows you to somehow make categories for your posts so you could put your future food posts under there. Then all a visitor has to do is click on the category "Food!" and it takes them to all the appropriate blogs. Not sure how it works as I've never done it myself but I've seen other people who've done the same.

    ReplyDelete