Saturday, July 3, 2010

The Rainy Season



7-4-2010
Day 121 0f 365: Happy 4th of July to everyone back home! Even though I can't eat BBQ and light fireworks with my friends and family back in Austin, I will find a way to celebrate the 4th in SK, hopefully with other American friends here. Unfortunately I haven't seen a single firework stand since I've been here, so they might not exist like they do in the states, or in Texas at least. It's a shame too since July and August are not drought months in SK like they are back home. It's quite the opposite. Korea gets more rain in these 2 summer months than the whole rest of the year combined. They actually have a name for this time of year too; it's called Jangma. The heavy rain started sometime last week. Checking the forecast for the next week, I found that everyday will be exactly the same - thunderstorms and showers. On the bright side, when it's not pouring, everything outside is green and beautiful, unlike when I first arrived in March when everything was bare and dreary. Since all the school playgrounds and soccer fields are sandlots and not grass, the kids hate the rain because it makes the ground muddy and unplayable very quickly. Over the last couple of months, I'd been stopping off on the way home from school here and there to play baseball with the boys, and more recently soccer. I even bought a soccer ball 2 weeks ago so that I can practice and not embarrass myself in front of the kids. Some of them are really, really good. The weather may put things on pause for a while though. I might need to find some different shoes to walk to school in too, since my sneakers are constantly rain-soaked now. Sandals?

In World Cup news, I was very disappointed that the SK and USA teams got knocked out in back to back games last week, but watching the remaining teams has still been exciting. There have been some major upsets, and there are now only 4 teams remaining: Uruguay, Netherlands, Germany and Spain. It's really hard to say who I think will advance to the final game, but many people are speculating that it will be Germany vs. the Netherlands, with Germany as the favorite now to win the World Cup.

On the school front, I have 2 weeks remaining until summer vacation begins. I'm really excited, but I am super busy right now with end-of-the-year stuff plus preparation for our school's 2 week English Summer Camp. The only positive thing about it is that I get to choose the lessons, activities and games for camp, so I'll finally have a chance to teach them "The Eyes of Texas" (way back in: Keep 'Em Up) among other lessons in Texas culture. Hook 'Em Horns!

Question of the week: Mel - Do a lot of people understand English in Korea?
Answer: Me - I can get by for the most part by speaking broken caveman English to people.


2 comments:

  1. This post applies to the last few of yours. I've got soccer fever too. I'm not sure who I caught it from, maybe Israel. It also helps knowing you are into it. Will's inz too. I was reading him some of your posts. He thought it was funny you finally hopped on. I have also started brushing up my skills before I play in a real (pickup) game. I have never played before but all that hacky sack is starting to pay off. Nathan sims and I started up this fun game that involves kicking a ball across an intersection before cars cross. It's kinda like hot potato and we hit a few cars. I then brought it to San Antonio where we played with Michael and John. John's pretty good, he used to play select for a number of years. On another note, can you do some video and upload it. That would be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even dad and I are getting interested in soccer, must be a world-wide epidemic this year.... : )Your 4th of July brisket will soon be on the way! Love you JC!

    ReplyDelete