Thursday, June 3, 2010

Brand New Day, Part 2



06-05-2010
Day 92 of 365: One day after my dismantling (last entry - Brand New Day), I decided that some changes needed to be made. I made up my mind to work harder and more diligently to gain back the confidence of my co-workers. There wasn't anything I could do immediately that morning, so instead I shaved my beard which I'd been growing for a solid 2 months. I'd never grown my beard until now, so I enjoyed having it (especially not needing to shave), but in a way, I didn't even want to look like the same person as before, so it had to go...at least for now. I also took some time to get my apartment in order; something I'd been avoiding for several weeks. I think I've been avoiding many practical matters lately in favor of excitement and adventure, so I took some time to remedy the situation, and I hope that I will be more aware to stay on top of things from now on.

Although I didn't run off to Seoul as per usual, I did have one obligation that afternoon that I was initially not looking forward to. Our school's Cub Scout troop was having a camp-out this weekend at our playground, and my Vice Principle wanted me to attend. The VP and many other teachers from school would be there, and he thought it would be good if I made an appearance. Having no desire to go anywhere near school grounds after what had happened the day before, I initially made up my mind that morning that I wasn't going to go. However, the more I thought about it, the more I realized it would be very good if I went. For one, even though some teachers who were talking trash about me might be there, I wasn't about to back down and show them that I was afraid to show my face after the "truth" came out. Second of all, I was a Cub Scout and a Boy Scout when I was young, so I owed it to the kids to come and help out. Lastly, I needed to show up to remind the VP, the teachers, the parents, and anyone else who may have doubted me, that all the kids love me more than them, and we have more fun together than they do, so they can stick that in their pipe and smoke it.

As of last year, the Cub Scouts, Girl Scouts, Science Scouts, and all other types of scouts in South Korea were combined under the Cub Scout banner. It was fun to see both the boys and the girls wear their uniforms, learn to set up tents and cook their own food. The tent assignments were divided up by grade, with 5-6 kids to a tent, and about 60 scouts total. At dinner time the scouts cooked their dinner with portable stoves in front of their tents, and each tent decided what they wanted to eat. Some cooked bulgogi, others cooked curry or other dishes, and they all had kim chi and rice to go with the meal. Almost every tent I visited at dinner time tried to feed me, so the picture at the top is one of many samples that I had of the kids' cooking. It was all really good actually. That night they had a talent show presentation, followed by a bon fire in the middle of the playground. I didn't spend the night, but I stayed with them pretty late and had a great time not only with the students but with the adults as well. I think my coming, which really was optional, showed the parents and teachers that even though I may still have some shortcomings as a teacher, I really do care about these kids, which hopefully counts for something.

3 comments:

  1. Jacob,
    That's awful about your treatment last week. gimme a shout if you wanna hang out one weekend and talk about the boss. I'm on 010-6871-3385.
    Lachlan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jacob - great post. We're standing with you! At the end of the day: with the job - the kids ARE what it's all about; and for you personally - growth in life is what it's all about. So all accounts - sounds like you're doing great. Not easy, not always fun - but worthwhile. Hang in there!
    Sharon (and Titus too - he sends his greetings!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I needed to show up to remind the VP, the teachers, the parents, and anyone else who may have doubted me, that all the kids love me more than them" ... haha! Count on you for an honest assessment of the situation! Also, how did you take that picture??

    ReplyDelete