Saturday, February 27, 2010

False Starts and Added Steps

According to my itinerary, I was supposed to be on a plane to Dallas 4 hours ago. From Dallas I would fly to San Francisco, hang out for 3 hours, and then hop on Singapore Airlines flight 15 to Seoul. I would arrive in Seoul at 640pm and be in Ansan on Monday for the first day of school. My parents had a going-away party for me at their house last night and we had over 50 guests show up to say goodbye and send me off. My mom even had a cake made with my face on it (it was a good picture of me). The plan was to stay up partying until 4am with everybody who could hang, and then leave for the airport at 430am, wiped out and ready to sleep for 21 hours (the total length of my flight). Here's the catch: my visa didn't come in on time, so I'm still in Austin.

What happens now is that I drive to Houston on Monday morning to acquire my visa at the Korean Consulate. An interview is involved and it may take a day or two for the visa to process. I'll book a new flight when I have my visa in hand (at Korea's expense, but no first class). I had wanted to drive to Houston last week but I didn't have enough time, so this will give me a chance to visit family and friends in the area before I depart. As for last night, everyone had a great time
, but it was a little awkward when some of them found out I would still be here tomorrow, and we definitely didn't stay up until 4 in the morning. I barely made it past midnight myself. Maybe we'll have a part II next week. The first party was called, Jacob's "I'd Rather Move to Korea than Deliver another Pizza" party. Next week it'll be called, Jacob's "I'm Leaving For Real This Time...Maybe..." party. Thanks to everyone last night for the cards, gifts, Clif Bars, Beef Jerky, etc. I love you guys...and gals.







2 comments:

  1. what a cool cake!! so are you there yet??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jacob, your mom used my fav pic of you for your cake! Lookin good!!!

    ReplyDelete